Wednesday 16 July 2014

The Best-Laid Birth-Plans

Did you have a birth-plan? I certainly did, and very careful and prescriptive it was too. No inductions, no epidurals, no cutting, no shaving, no interventions, just lovely, healthy, natural birth.

I was very happy with it. And then the baby came along, and the plan went right out the window. Instead of lovely and natural I got out-of-control, terrifying and very, very painful.

Despite ending well – adorable, healthy baby, no major physical traumas – I found the experience difficult, and all the more so when I contrasted it with what I had expected and hoped for.

I know I am not alone in this, because I heave learned that just mention the word 'birth-plan' in a room full of mothers, and half will laugh ruefully, while the other half shudder.

Here is a piece I wrote for Eumom.com, on birth-plans, why we have them, and what happens when they go wrong:



http://www.eumom.ie/pregnancy/the-best-laid-birth-plans/

No comments:

Post a Comment